Welcome to Además!
It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to our before and after school programs. The purpose of Además is to strengthen and support the social, emotional, and academic skills of students through interactive and playful centered activities. Whether your child is joining us for our morning or afternoon sessions, for one day or each afternoon, we hope their creative minds are inspired and reinvigorated to further engage with the wonders around them.
During our morning sessions students will be welcomed into the school day with various activities, such as Spanish story time, morning stretch and yoga, interactive games and outdoor play. In our afternoon session students will transition to the program with a nutritious snack and offered menear tiempo/wiggle time outdoors (weather permitting). Students will then be invited to choose an actividad de la tarde/ afternoon activity. Some actividades de la tarde to look forward to can be:
- Art projects that are inspired by famous Spanish speaking artist such as Salvador Dalí and Frida Kahlo.
- A cooking class that introduces students to easy snacks enjoyed by children from around Latin America.
- Story telling and theater workshops that incorporate new Spanish vocabulary, and culminate in storybook and short plays.
- Interactive science experiments that introduce new vocabulary to students and allow them to utilize common Spanish vocabulary and phrases.
Following la actividad de la tarde, students are offered tiempo independiente independent time, where they have the opportunity to work on homework assignments, enjoy personal reading or writing time, or work with a technologically supported resource. We end our afternoons with free choice time or a short story reading.
Students are welcomed into the school day with activities including Spanish story time, morning stretch and yoga, interactive games, and outdoor play.
A nutritious snack is followed by outdoor playtime (weather permitting) and then la actividad de la tarde (the afternoon activity).
Some activities to look forward to:
- Art projects inspired by famous Spanish speaking artists such as Salvador Dalí and Frida Kahlo
- Cooking classes introducing students to easy snacks enjoyed by Latin America children
- Storytelling and theater workshops incorporating new Spanish vocabulary into storybooks and short plays.
- Interactive science experiments introducing new vocabulary and allowing students to utilize common Spanish words and phrases
The afternoon program also includes time to work on homework assignments, enjoy personal reading or writing, or work with a technologically supported resource. We also have daily clubs such as Tae Kwon Do, LEGOs, Flamenco dance, chorus, and gymnastics.